Available 24 hours a day, Mintel's global public relations team is pleased to provide accredited journalists with access to our research, arrange interviews with our expert analysts and share the latest insights across categories and countries.

Brazilian influence is resonating dramatically in the beauty and personal care category – and new research from Mintel reveals just how much influence it has. Indeed, only 10% of skincare launches inspired by Brazilian lifestyles and ingredients were actually released in Brazil, while 90% of Brazilian inspired products were launched outside Brazil. This influence is seen largely on the ingredients platform, with products featuring one of four key claims such as “Brazilian”, “from Brazil”, “sourced from Brazil” or “inspired by Brazil”.

Indeed, between August 2013 and July 2014, some 16% of the launches inspired by Brazil were found in France, while 14% were found in the UK. Meanwhile, this was followed by the US at 12% and Japan at 10%.

And it seems Brazilian haircare product communication is also inspiring the global market. While previously the vast majority of haircare product launches specifying the use of salt-free formulations were found in the Brazilian market, this is slowly changing. Indeed, in 2011, Brazil represented 95% of these launches, while 5% was represented by the rest of the world. However, in 2013, Brazil accounted for 86% and the rest of the world, 14%. Furthermore, so far in 2014 alone, Brazil has accounted for 65% and the rest of the world for 35%.

Vivienne Rudd, Global Director of Insight, Beauty & Personal Care, at Mintel, says:

“Brazil has traditionally been seen as an incredibly rich source of natural ingredients but today it is an inspiring beauty market in its own right. The Brazilian determination to look as good as possible whatever the cost is driving the country’s beauty market forward and is encouraging Brazilian and multinational companies to step up their efforts, creating products that Brazilians can buy at home or on their travels. At the same time, blending elements of Brazilian culture and lifestyle with popular naturals such as açaí and cupuaçu is an attractive approach for consumers in other countries. The next two years will see the Brazilian influence spread even further and deeper as beauty companies build on the after-effects of the Fifa World Cup and the run-up to the Rio Olympics in 2016.”

While Brazil is showing its importance on the global stage, it still has scope to further grow its own market. For instance, the Brazilian skincare market is characterized by basic claims, such as moisturising and hydrating, present in 77% of the variants but only 66% of global launches. Issues of sensitivity and safety will help to move Brazilian skincare forward as evidenced by the popularity of the dermatologically tested claim, present in 40% of skincare launches in Brazil but only 26% of global launches. Meanwhile, claims like brightening and illuminating and paraben-free, which are popular globally, are found in 25% and 21% respectively of the global new product launches, however, they fail to appear in the 10 top claims in the Brazilian skincare market, when considering products launched between August 2013 and July 2014.

In addition, Mintel’s research reveals that 27% of Brazilian consumers use facial skincare products mainly to improve the texture of their skin, 25% use them to treat and prevent acne and 23% to minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Indeed, the skincare market is performing well. Suncare, is growing at a rate of 12.5%, and Bodycare at 12.4%, these categories are set to be two of the country’s fastest growing subcategories between 2012 and 2016, well ahead of Facial skincare (6.3%). Underlining the growing importance of suncare, Mintel forecasts that it will overtake facial skincare in terms of value by the end of 2014, recording sales of R$2.177m compared to facial skincare sales of R$2.146m.

Vivienne Rudd says:

There is clearly scope for more sophisticated claims in the Brazilian market. Dermocosmetics and hybrid products such as tinted sunscreens, sun protecting foundations and multi tasking BB/CC creams will increasingly use enhanced claims of protection, prevention and personalisation, unlocking the potential of the facial skincare category. Meanwhile, specialist products to treat skin problems and work with professional treatments will help to expand Brazilian consumers’ facial skincare regimens.”

However, there are also opportunities to be found in haircare – the male consumer is keen to look after his hair. Indeed, Mintel’s research reveals that 61% of Brazilian men use shampoo daily, compared to 27% of women, and 61% of men use styling products everyday (compared to 41% of women). Furthermore, 44% of Brazilian men use a hair treatment every day, compared to just 23% of women. However, while 33% of male haircare users choose male-specific products, only 2% of haircare launches in Brazil, in 2014 up to July, targeted men.

Vivienne Rudd says:

“Brands could cash in on this market by launching more specific products aimed at the male consumer. Since men are more likely than women to say that most shampoos and conditioners give the same results, regardless of their price or brand, these launches should concentrate on convenience, speed and efficacy, helping men integrate the products seamlessly into their daily routine.”

Vivienne Rudd, Global Director of Insight at Mintel, will hold the presentation “Brazil and Beyond: Trends, Drivers and Innovation to Watch” on Wednesday, 10th September, at 9 am, in the Innovation Seminar theatre of in-cosmetics Brazil.