Available 24 hours a day, Mintel's global public relations team is pleased to provide accredited journalists with access to our research, arrange interviews with our expert analysts and share the latest insights across categories and countries.

Chicago (May 9, 2014)—As one of the largest beauty and personal care markets in the world, Brazil is a key country for the global haircare market. New research from Mintel highlights that fact, revealing that Brazil accounted for 9% of all haircare product launches last year worldwide, ahead of the UK (8%) and the US (7%).

In fact, Brazil’s haircare market is projected to see double-digit annual growth over the next four years and will reach an estimated R$12.45 billion by 2017. In 2013, Mintel estimates the shampoo and conditioner retail market value alone to be $2.92 billion. The shampoo subcategory has the highest penetration, with 91% of Brazilians saying they use it—making usage higher than in Spain (90%), Italy (90%), France (91%) and the UK (89%).

“Brazilian consumers’ usage habits are different and unique,” says Mohamed Omer, global personal care analyst at Mintel. “Brazilian female consumers over-index in their usage of both leave-in and wash-out conditioners.”

Indeed, 39% of Brazilian consumers say they use leave-in conditioner, which is a high penetration rate compared to developed markets such as France and the UK, where 11% and 10% of consumers say they use it, respectively. Furthermore, 75% of Brazilian consumers say they use wash-out conditioner, compared to just 31% of French and 59% of UK consumers.

When it comes to claims, moisturizing/hydrating and anti-dandruff are the most popular ones, with around 35% and 31% of Brazilian consumers looking for them respectively. Accordingly, 50% of all Brazilian haircare product launches carried a moisturizing/hydrating claim in 2013 as opposed to 29% of global haircare launches.

Brazilian haircare product communication is also inspiring the global market. While previously, the vast majority of haircare product launches specifying the use of salt-free formulations were found in the Brazilian market, this is slowly changing. In 2011, for example, Brazil represented 95% of these launches, while 5% was represented by the rest of the world. Fast forward to 2013, where Brazil accounted for 86% and the rest of the world 14%.

For more Mintel insights on the Brazilian haircare market, join Mintel’s Global Personal Care Analyst Mohamed Omer at the NYSCC Cosmetics in Contemporary Brazil Seminar on May 12. Mohamed will discuss how consumer behavior is evolving in response to the changing social and retail environment in this exciting market, and how the beauty industry is anticipating these changes with a variety of new products and claims. For more information on the seminar, click here, and for more information on the stats and analysis contained in this release, contact the Mintel press office here.