Director of Consulting, Japan
The Mintel Consulting team is responsible for bridging strategy and creativity with leading-edge research, data, and analytics. Just like the rest of our Consultancy, to be on our team, you must have a restless curiosity about the world, the ability to pivot on a dime, a commercial mind that is always thinking end-game, and a confidence that you can be the most creative person in the room.
In addition to client project responsibilities, you will be instrumental in the development and continuing innovation of Mintel’s consulting business. You will oversee a team of Consultants at varying levels that require mentoring and coaching on using Mintel’s assets and platforms such as product data, consumer data, and trends, to weave tight and actionable strategic narratives into client deliverables.
You are a problem solver and strategic thinker who is able to direct Mintel’s people and assets toward helping our clients grow. You are experienced as a team builder, mentor, functional expert, will contribute to the team’s vision, manage against KPIs, and motivate successful outcomes.
Candidates should have at least 10 years of experience in market research, agency, or consulting and will be asked to demonstrate skills in critical thinking, be effective presenting to high-level executives, display poise under pressure, and be able to seamlessly shift from high altitude thinking to the tangible and practical. You should also have at least 2 years of experience in managing a team of Consultants.
What You Will Be Doing
- Shaping and scaling the direction of our Consulting offering which will include building custom capabilities and use-cases that expand our suite of services and engagement with clients
- Ensuring precise, high-quality output with optimized team performance, clever problem solving, and data interpretation
- Developing (independently or in collaboration) compelling proposals for client project opportunities
- Directly or indirectly managing the execution and deliverable phases of team engagements
- Leading the team in consumer insight-driven analysis and recommendations
- Working collaboratively with account management and sales teams in the development of custom business and the delivery of custom projects
- Working directly with clients to understand their needs and budgets
- Presenting deliverables, facilitating client input and activation, and applying feedback to improve our processes
What We Are Looking For
- A Leader: You are an experienced and passionate leader who can demonstrate a track record of proficiency tracking and optimizing team utilization, efficiency, managing to KPIs, and growth planning
- Commercially-Minded: You have an instinct for commercial opportunities, develop and expand client relationships, develop business, and will drive Mintel’s value proposition
- Consumer-Led: You have a demonstrated talent for spotting trends and patterns, and a nuanced understanding of consumer insights
- Strategists: You are a lateral thinker, an intuitive dot-connector, and have experience weaving compelling narratives out of disparate facts across a wide range of categories.
- Data-Driven: You have a strong familiarity with most forms of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and working knowledge of when and how to apply them to a given client challenge
- Naturally Curious: You are always drawn to knowing the “why” behind things and great at navigating client conversations, asking second and third level questions to get at the heart of clients’ challenges and goals.
- Influencers: You have experience leading strategy, innovation, or creative workshops and the energy, intellect, humility and passion that draws people to wanting to learn more from you.
- Great Communicators: You are able to visualize strategic thought in evocative and engaging presentations, delivered with confidence and authority and can adapt your communication style to suit each client and internal business partner. Strong written and verbal communication skills in English are critical.
- Collaborators: You take pride in the team you are a part of and the work you produce. Cultivating professional relationships with your colleagues is important and you are constantly finding innovative and unique ways to create an exceptional work environment.
What We Offer
- A culture that supports true collaboration whilst embracing remote working.
- Flexi-time working hours (start working between 8:00 am and 10:00 am).
- Blended (office/home) approach to work.
- Approach to personal development where we encourage individuals to grow and share what they’ve learned.
- Social events, both within the department and across the company.
- Generous annual leave and wider circle employee benefits.
- Additional one day off to celebrate your birthday.
- Membership in Employee Resource Groups (Mintel Diversity, Mintel Wellness, and Mintel Gives).
- Giving back is part of our culture with this in mind, Mintel gives employees 2 days' leave per year to join local volunteering activities organized by our Mintel Gives (where applicable).
- Mental health and wellbeing support via Modern Health App and Employee Assistance Programme.
- Beautifully designed offices to foster collaboration and fun.
Mintel is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to the strength of an inclusive workplace.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race/Color/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Vets