Brazil leads for haircare launches globally in 2013, reports Mintel

April 1, 2014

As one of the largest Beauty and Personal Care markets in the world Brazil is a key country for the global haircare market, indeed highlighting its importance, new research from Mintel reveals that Brazil accounted for 9% of all haircare products launches last year worldwide, ahead of the UK (8%) and the US (7%).

Indeed, Brazil’s haircare market is projected to see double annual digit growth over the next four years to reach an estimated R$ 12.45 billion by 2017. In 2013, Mintel estimates the shampoo and conditioner retail market value alone is to be US$ 2.92 billion. The shampoo subcategory has the highest penetration, with 91% of Brazilians saying they use it – making usage higher than in Spain (90%), Italy (90%), Germany (92%), France (91%) and UK (89%).

Christopher Lindsley, Global Skin Care analyst at Mintel says:

“The Brazilian haircare market is strong and established, accounting for more launches that any other country in 2013. This is helped by a developed consumer haircare regimen and the market is also home to communication rarely seen elsewhere in the world. Looking ahead, developing anti-aging claims can add value to the market while campaigns can appeal to the country’s diversity with specific regional claims”.

In Brazil, 39% of consumers say they use leave-in conditioner, high penetration when compared to developed markets such as France, where 11% of the consumers say they use it and the UK, 10%. Furthermore, 75% of Brazilian consumers say they use wash-out conditioner, compared to just 31% of French and 59% of the UK consumers.

When it comes to claims, moisturising/hydrating and anti-dandruff are the most popular ones, with, around 35% and 31% of Brazilian consumers looking for them respectively. Accordingly, 50% of all the Brazilian haircare product launches carried the moisturising/hydrating claim in 2013 as opposed to 29% of global haircare launches.

Brazilian haircare product communication is also inspiring the global market. While previously the vast majority of haircare product launches specifying the use of salt-free formulations were found in the Brazilian market, this is slowing changing. In 2011, for example, Brazil represented 95% of these launches, while 5% was represented by the rest of the world. Meanwhile in 2013, Brazil accounted for 86% and the rest of the wolrd, 14%.

Mintel News

For the latest in consumer and industry news, top trends and market perspectives, stay tuned to Mintel News featuring commentary from Mintel’s team of global category analysts.

Contact Press Office
Related articles
February 26, 2024
Despite stagnant growth in the haircare category, 35% of Indian consumers have increased the time spent on haircare routines in the six months leading to September 2023, with 44% expressing…
October 2, 2023
Mintel, the experts in what consumers want and why, has today (2 October 2023) announced three key trends set to impact the global beauty and personal care industry in 2024.
September 28, 2023
41% of those who believe affordable and premium products are comparable in efficacy also say they prefer to buy premium makeup, no matter the price. 43% of male makeup users…

Download the Latest Market Intelligence